Saddlebag House, Rodents, Rain, Mushroom, Ants, The FlowerBED

 

A Saddlebag House
Do you what that is?

Saddlebag houses get their name from the layout 
of two rooms on either side of a central 
chimney, resembling saddlebags draped over a horse.
The practical design was common in 1800's architecture because
it was easy to heat with a central
shared chimney and easy to expand as 
families grew. This one is located
in Morgan County, Ga., and was
built in the late 1800's.

I love when I stumble across things that
make me learn, things I never really wondered
about, but things that are so neat to 
learn about.

Okay, so I really didn't out smart
the squirrel!
Damn rodents!

Yep, still a tad too warm for me to venture out
and put the rock in the dry creek bed.
Hoping that tomorrow will be better.
And with that thought, I 
decided to look and see what the temp
would be tomorrow...
and this is what I see.
Did my walk about at almost five
pm on Monday. Talk about being late!
I do walk abouts in the yard to see what
is blooming, what is coming up, or what appears
over night...
Like this mushroom.

Question~
ever been GOTTEN by a fire ant?
So not fun. They sting, injecting a toxic alkaloid
venom, which stings at first then
turns to a burn and then the itch.
They tend to wonder the yard just like
all ants so it's not uncommon for one to get
on my half covered feet and sting.

But this is when you see them the most.

Last yr I started treating with a powdered stuff for 
fire ants in April. But rainy season came early last
yr. This yr it came later and I thought I was in the
clear cause I was not having to treat the mounds.
The above is a pic I took yesterday.
Unlike last yr, they are building closer to the 
ground. Last yr they built so many high rise 
condos it was not funny. Those condos can go up
over night. Now this one above is a tad taller 
than they have been doing this yr. Most of 
them had been spread out more. 
These are the DEVILS of Hickman County.

The flowerBED is doing great.
I love to go and see this bed on 
my walk abouts.


Need a good trellis, a baby bed springs 
are great. My morning glory is climbing
right up this one.


 I did notice something this yr that
I have not paid attention to before,
flowers don't have a lot of smell
anymore. At least not the ones I 
have been smelling.

Pam



 


 









Comments

I didn't know that about saddleback houses but I do know that fireants are evil and sting like you know what!
Ann said…
Interesting about that house. I had never heard of that before.
Thankfully I have never been bitten by a fire ant.
The flower bed is really pretty. Sorry about the squirrel
DeniseinVA said…
Thanks for sharing about the saddleback houses I enjoy learning this stuff too. Those squirrels! I used to have a similar set up with the birds but the raccoons destroyed it. Sorry about your squirrels. Loved your scarecrow pics and pretty flowers. All lovely photos, maybe not about the fire ants. They sound scary! Happy July!
Liz A. said…
Those fire ants sound terrible.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Coffee Table Redo

Another Chilling Day - Brothers HOuse