Through Your Mind, Food, ICU and Now


There are several, many, things 
that go through
your mind when someone you 
love goes through what
DJ has gone through. Esp if 
you are dealing with
someone so young. With DJ, 

of course we were all
so thankful to still have him with us. However, some of my
thoughts were, "we still have him with us",
also, "thank goodness he did not lose that eye" (the
one where he was cut on the eyelid, just a little
more pressure, or the cut a bit deeper, it might
have turned out different.
Other thoughts were, he is not paralyzed,
and he did not have brain damage.
As a mom, Amber's main thought that was
so hard for her to come to terms was,
"he laid there in that ditch, ALONE".
My hopes were that being thrown 
from the truck, maybe he was knocked out,
and maybe he will not remember that time.
In ICU he did mention that he remembered
coming too in the ditch. My heart broke.
Other events after bouncing around in 
the truck, seeing a tree (large crepe myrtle), 
he does not seem to remember.
I am thankful for that.

I tried to keep all up to date during the 
ICU, hosp stay, and rehab but when some are
not on FB, it became hard to remember who 
I had to call, who to text and who was
able to see it on FB. When he went to 
rehab I decided I was worrying myself
to pieces keeping all up to date.
I did a DJ Recovery page on FB.
That made life so much easier esp since
the better part of Hickman Co. was
following the accident and recovery.

Yesterday, Amber's fear of DJ being 
alone, laying there in a ditch, not fully 
aware of where he was or what was
going on, why he could not move and 
etc., was answered and we learned that
DJ was not alone.

A young man sent us a message via
PM on that page.
Hello My name is Drake
I was at your sons
accident when it happened,
I was the one that
called 911 and sat with
him until they got there
I’m so very glad he is alive and home I’ve spent every
night wondering since it happened I'm very glad he is
recovering i genuinely cried
tears for him and his family
that day if you ever need
anything to help just let
me know! Have a blessed day!

Yesterday I made some chicken salad and
for Amber a squash casserole
so, I
took them over about lunch time.
When I got home Amber called to
see if I had seen a PM from a guy
named Drake. She read it to me and I
lost it. I could not stop those thankful tears.
Both Amber and I thanked him on 
the message and he is planning on coming
to the Welcome Home event at the 
community center on Oct. 3rd. 

Through our conversation Drake also
told me this...
I will be there! I’m so glad
I saw your page,
he asked me that
morning what my name was
and I said my name
is Drake, buddy it’s nice to meet
you and he said my names
DJ it’s good to meet
you too, even on the worst morning of his
life he still was very kind and calm

So, that answered the question was he
really aware of the accident, was he
awake and would he have been alone.
Thankful Drake.

More of the conversation,
Even though we had never met before
I could tell that morning he was a fighter,
and I’m very grateful he is recovering well! I look
forwarding to meet you guys!
 
I don't know what to do, I so 
want to do something special for 
Drake. I am doing some heavy 
thinking on this one.
All I can think of is, had he not
been there, DJ would have opened his
eyes and no one would have been
with this scared 17 yr old boy.
Not only that, the fast responses 
to getting 911 there could very well
have been what saved DJ's life. 
DJ is excited to REMEET Drake.

To recap, 
DJ in ICU when I saw him for the 
first time.
If you have a iffy tummy, 
scroll past.


I tried to keep pics of each day,
but that got hard to keep up 
with. This pic below is after the 
second surgery on the face/head.
Since DJ was only 17 he was considered
a minor and was in the children's 
hospital. The head of peds plastic
surgery did the second surgery. The first
was to pull the scalp back in place
and clean it up.

This is now. Look at the great job
the doc did. 

Thanks to Drake, the amazing ICU
team, all his nurses and docs, 
Vanderbilt Hosp., and everyone at
rehab. But most of all, the 
biggest thing is DJ's attitude 
through all of this. His will to
heal, the will to push through it
all, and his never saying NO to 
anything he was asked to do in rehab.

Drake was his angel on earth
but everyone that has had a hand
in his healing are amazing.
The cards, comments, calls, text, 
and visits helped him so much.
He would smile and say, "everyone
loves me".....
This county's response was amazing.

I do not want to forget Braden in all 
this either. Braden was offered to ride in 
the truck also, in the bed. Thankful he was 
smart enough to say NO.
I would hate to think about it, but
while sitting in ICU, we probably would
have been planning Braden's funeral.

Just goes to show you, you never know,
when one choice, one event, even in one
second, life can change. All this could have
ended up so differently.

Oh, and have you ever heard of ICU
Delirium? It's a real thing.
After over a week in ICU, then into
a room, DJ had terrible ICU delirium. 
When he was a young kid, he had night
terrors and with the ICU delirium, it
came back. He would wake and yell out,
asking Amber to untie his arms and legs
(cause of the swelling of the spine), the 
head of the bed was in between two
cabins, he woke one night about someone
putting him in a cabinet....it was not pretty. 
Read up on it if you get the chance.

Thanks for all your well wishes for
DJ,
Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Coffee Table Redo

Another Chilling Day - Brothers HOuse