Having the Eye and Some Rules I Use

 Sometimes when I am 
not looking or thinking
about my next post I
read something on someone
else's post.
Ann over at 
gave me this idea
from her post of her
showing her granddaughter
a few pointers with the camera.

Thanks Ann.
Years ago (YEARS)
my grandson Caleb and his
mom came to live with me.
Caleb was like a week from
turning one.
This was to be temporary.
Longest temporary of 
six years I ever been through!
lol

Anyway, Caleb and I had
a lot of nana and grandson
time together. 
He was my shadow.
I taught him how to clean
a john (lol), strip wallpaper,
use a hammer and screwdriver,
make his bed, cook etc.

As he got older, moved out 
with his mom, he would go out
with me when I took the 
camera and ran away.
I would let him use my
big camera but when I 
got my 2nd back up camera
I allowed him to use one
while I used the other.

He was about nine when I started
letting him use the cameras and 
I was impressed.

We stopped one day at 
Dairy Queen and he 
went up in the crawling kid
thingy.

This pic was taking while
he was playing on the 
crawling thingy.
Pretty neat shot.


This one also.


I thought it was
cool that as we were
driving around he saw the 
clouds in the window.


This is a shot like his
nana shot, only I prob
would only have shot this
if it was rusted.


Speaking of rust,
my old mailbox. I sent
Caleb to get the mail


I loved the way his mind
worked.

Like looking up under the branch
of a tree to shoot this bug.


He used the zoom lens on this
shot but even still, he had to 
get close enough to get
a great pic.

These next shots he
was 19 when we to the 
park for family pics.




He climbed up on 
a branch that was hanging
low and took a shot looking
down the branch.

Like I said, I love the 
way his mind works.


Or getting down low for these
next two shots.



Looking through fallen trees.


I like to say that nana
taught him well but
a lot of being a photographer is 
how you look at things. 


Had a friend tell me once
when looking at a pic I 
took of a brick in the creek,
she told me, "that she could
take the same pic and it would
not look that good. It would look
like a brick in the creek, where
mine looks like art."
Another friend told me that
he thought that my being an 
artist with my painting helped
to open my eyes to 
seeing the world differently. 

It is funny, at times I will look
at a pic and call out the colors
in oils that it took to paint that.
Recently a friend posted a pic
on fb of the ocean in Fla.
I commented that I could see the 
cobalt blue, ultramarine 
blue, white and purple in that
pic and he came back with,
"there's that artist"!

What I tell younger folks wanting
to work on photography skills~

1. Look for that different angle. 
With the brick I was
telling you about earlier,
I walked around the creek,
looked at the angle of the 
brick, what side looked the 
best. Was the sun shining on it
or the shade covering it 
to make it pop?



 
I could have shot the above
building straight on, but I loved
this angle.

Another angle, under a flower.

2.  Don't always shoot straight on.
See how I shot this with 
the bottom of the Queen Anne's
Lace, but it is also hanging out
of the frame. Shooting like this
draws your eye to more than
one thing. The beautiful sky!

Also, in this pic below.
Most folks would shoot for the 
sun setting and have it 
smack dab in the center.
Nothing wrong with that, but
off center brings in more
of the water and trees in 
for viewing also.
More to bring your eye
to the pic.

There again, the rocks are
not just the focal point, you
have water also.

3. Use your surroundings.
This is why I dislike
shooting inside. I rather do 
it all outside. You
have the natural element to
bring into your pics.
Like this shot of Holly
(niece). 

I could have gotten Holly
standing straight up in
front of the lake but I 
wanted to add to the pic so
I had her lean up on the tree.

Same in the pic below
of my niece, Jessica.
Rather than have her stand
or sit in the leaves, play with 
them. 


Using the tree and the 
BIG root along with 
the bamboo in this shot
of my son and DIL 
added a great back drop.


4. Use props 

Here I used the natural
element of the trees, and 
the rocks (even though
they were built to look
natural), the water and 
a pop of color in the 
prop of a chair. 

Another natural element 
shot with a prop.


Here I used natural, and 
man made with props.


5. Use what is around you, 
even if man made.



But most important...
HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the idea on 
this post Ann.

Pam































Comments

Marie Smith said…
My husband takes his camera when we go out shooting and his photos of the same thing can look so different from mine. Great suggestions!
Sandee said…
He took some great shots.

Have a fabulous day, weekend and a very Happy New Year, Pam. Scritches to the furbabes. ♥
Christine said…
Great photos!
Darla M Sands said…
I'm not young - lol - but thank you for these tips! Even with just my iPod these are things I want to work on. Caleb has an amazing artistic vision. ~hugs~ Be well!
Liz A. said…
There's a lot that goes into taking a good photograph.
That was a fun post and we always enjoy your art in all its forms. Caleb is very talented too and he has quite the artists eye.
Ann said…
Glad my post gave you an idea for yours. Looking through a lens sure does change the way you see things. Once I started getting interested in photography I noticed things I never noticed before. Learning about the rule of thirds and leading lines also helped to up my photos.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Done Deal, Fall Color, Paint Class, New Man, Treat, and Soup, Cats and Broom