The House - Landed in my Lap

I could not help it...
I had to tease you all with 
the house that dropped into my
lap.

I need to move. I stayed where I 
am to be close to mom if
she needed me.
The past yr has gotten rough
on me and the stairs so 
I knew it was coming.
Just did not know it would be
something I would be thinking 
about now. 

I still have work that I need
to do on my place that will take
awhile for me to get done. 
Not sure how long
it will be before moms place is 
ready. 

Course this house is not ready
anyway. 

It was built in the 1930's.
It has been ripped down, walls
removed, waiting on permits and 
new septic tank to be put in.

But here is your first look at the 
house.

You come in the front door 
and look into the living room
and kitchen. All open now where
once there was a wall.
The area that looks like a window
once was....was a window once
upon a time.
It looked out onto a back porch.
The door to the left took you
out to the deck.

Here again is that door, this is where
a window is going and the sink
will be under it. 


The door opening in the back
of the kitchen goes into a small 
hall area and closet that will
contain the stackable washer
and dryer. 
The fridge will be right next
to the door, a small section 
of counter and then the stove.
More counter that will go around
the corner of the wall.


More counter, sink and then a 
pantry.

Here I am standing in the kitchen looking
into the living room. 
Front door and off to the right
of that is a section that was
added later on.


To the right of the above pic
just at the edge of the pic is 
two windows.
These are the two windows,
these will be removed and french
style doors will be added that will
open to the deck and fenced
in side and part of the backyard.


Here is another shot of added
on section. 
This would make an awesome 
office like area.


In the pic below is where
a closet is being added to 
the front bedroom, guest room.


The master bedroom.
To the left of the window
is a door that will have a 
sliding barn door to the 
bathroom.


The bathroom is the pic
below.
On the far wall will be a stand
up shower,
the white pipe in the room 
will be removed and the tub will go
there. Across from that there is
hopes of two antique matching
dressers with sinks installed.



On the other side of the tub
will be the john.
Past the john will be another door
that goes into the small area hall
where the washroom closet is to be.

Right across from that second
bathroom door will be 
the back porch.
But right now, this is 
the porch - below.



Yep...looks like a room. It was also
added on to the porch that was there.
There is no heat or air to this room.
The walls will be taking down
and the porch will be back to 
being a porch, screened in for Lily.

In the pics of the first added 
addition you probably saw 
this tub.
It is not part of the original house
but it will be redone and glazed
to go in the bathroom.



The feet to the tub.



The sink below is original to the home
and it also will be redone and put
back in the kitchen. 


Ceiling of the living room.
This will also be fixed.
But if you notice, which is hard,
there is wall paper. 



I did not take pics of the back or
side yards but here is a view
of the front and the house.




The tin roof is only about 3 yrs old.





The house sits on the corner front section
of 6 acres. On the back section of the 
acreage, almost catty corner to the house
is a large barn. 
Due to years of sitting, the barn is in 
rough shape and would need to come
down. I would not put Misfire in there.
There are folks that you can get to
come take it down just for the 
weathered barn wood. 
But then....there would need to be 
another one put up.

All new wiring, all new installation,
all new walls, all new ceilings, all new
floors,  all new appliances and doors.....

Minus an extra bedroom and 1/2
bath that I have now.
More land.
GREAT DEAL...
list for one price but being 
offered to me for 
142.000 less than the estmiated
value of the property. 

Am I taking it...
probably not.
I have never had septic.
Water heater under house in 
crawl space. 
More land to take care of.
A barn to take down and 
something new put up cause
the drive to feed Misfire from
here would be crazy. 
Less indoor storage space.
Minus a bedroom.
Minus a 1/2 bath.
Will need to install a shed
ASAP for storage.
And there are a couple of
sink holes on the property
near the house.
That in itself scares the 
crap out of me.

Bless my brother and sis in law
for offering. I know this is 
one way they feel they can 
hold a promise to my mom, 
to look out for me.
Plus, Ray has done a lot 
of great things for me in the 
past. He is a good soul like that.
If I moved here I would live
at the end of their driveway.
I have no issues with that but
I just don't think this is the place
for me. I would have to down size
so much and I am not sure I 
can. BUT...it is one level!

What do you think?
Keep an open mind on the place
and see it for what it could be....
BEAUTIFUL.




Comments

Pilar said…
It looks like a nice house. I've seen so many flipped houses on tv and the results are beautiful! Have a great weekend Pam!
We can wait to see the progress as it unfolds!
Darla M Sands said…
I would not want to deal with all those issues. ~nods~ That is nice of them to offer, though. I hope you're having a good day.
NanaDiana said…
We have lived in/flipped 15 houses over the years. That is quite a lot of work for someone that has never been part of that process before...even for someone that is seasoned. We now only buy if it is on city sewer and water and natural gas lines. We learned our lesson on that over the years.

On the flip side- it is ADORABLE and could be just a doll house. However, I think that you will KNOW, without a doubt, when the right place comes along. Hang in there- it might not be time, just yet. xo Diana
Sandee said…
I would take a wait and see approach. There is much to be said for one level, but downsizing is tough. Most folks do downsize as they get older. Less work all around.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥
Liz A. said…
Ah, that explains how it fell in your lap. It's something to ponder. I can see your hesitation, and I can also see how it would be wonderful.
It will be a beautiful when it is done. I love the vintage elements going back in which will appeal to potential buyers. 6 acres sounds amazing! Sink holes are very scary. We thought of moving to FL but the land is so risky there.
I'm sure it would be a lovely home for you, Pam. There is quite a bit of work to do and the fact the septic needs replacing and sink holes, I would be afraid. Of course you have to listen to your heart on this one! ♥
Rain said…
You had me at 6 acres Pam! But you know, Alex and I are very willing to have a fixer upper. And we would much prefer a gutted house to one that's been "quickly flipped" badly. So this is the type of house we'd be into. Though not the price. Actually in the Maritime provinces of Canada, a place like this with that much acreage would probably go for under 50k Cad. I see lots of potential here. We have a septic here where we're renting and it needs to be drained every 2 years.
Christine said…
That will be a lot of work.
Rhodesia said…
Our house is over 200 years old and I know how much work we had to do although it was sort of habitable. I think this looks like far too much work. Too much land to look after and sinkholes sound like very bad news!! Have another look around!! Happy weekend Diane
Debbie said…
i see a lot of potential but i also see a lot of work, i could never do it!!!
Ann said…
I've always thought it would be fun to take an old house like that and totally remodel it. Money no object of course. I can see pros and cons to this and I guess in the end it's ultimately what you feel is best for you.
How exciting. I love the tub and sink that are going to be refinished and used.
It looks a lot of work … but it has good potential.
I think you must listen to your gut instinct … I'm sure you know whether it will be the right (or wrong) move for you.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan
Jeanie said…
Definitely a fixer upper but I can see why you might have been tempted.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Done Deal, Fall Color, Paint Class, New Man, Treat, and Soup, Cats and Broom