Mom and the Cardinal

With the last breathe your life
can change so much. 

Right now I am living at my
mom's home. I promised
her sometime ago, long before
she left us that I would care
for her dogs. 
I now have three more furbabes.

This is Molly.
She is 14.


My brothers and I have not talked
about all this stuff yet but 
I figure I will stay here
till Molly is gone. I don't think
she will relocate to my house
very well.

This is Cheyenne.
She is about 8.


And Chole. 
4 yrs old.


I think I could relocate this two
easier but once my brothers
and I talk I will know more.

My daughter took this pic,


and posted this on FB.

I have been quiet on here about what my family and I are going through right now, only because my grandmother hates Facebook. But now I need everyone’s prayers for comfort for all of my family.
On Dec. 28th my grandmother had surgery, on the 30th she was rushed to ICU where she remained til yesterday. The doctors have done all they can do and she told us all she wanted to go home. So yesterday we brought her home to be with her dogs and family. She is now resting comfortably at home where she wanted to be.
Now I’ll say this if you have never had the opportunity to meet this amazing woman then you are missing out. You couldn’t ask for a better grandmother. She is feisty, strong, and hard headed. She does things her way and doesn’t care what you think. She told me once she is 82 and has earned the right to be that way. She is a grandmother to 6 grandkids and 5 great grandkids, that all love her so much.
I have so many many memories of her and with her (I’ll save those for myself). I will miss making more memories with you granny. I will miss calling you everyday after work just to talk. I will miss you trying to say my name while calling me all your dogs names and some of my cousins names ( I do this with my kids too). I will miss everything about you. You have been a constant loving, supporting person in my life for 38 years. I know you haven’t always agreed with my decisions and I’m sure I have disappointed you at times. I hope and pray you’re proud of the woman, wife and mother I have become. I will make sure my boys always know how much you love them. Our whole family is who they are because of you. You helped raise all of us.
I know you’re still here but I miss you so much already. I’ll love you forever. I will make you proud while you watch down from heaven. You will be my guardian angel. I love you Granny.

You see my mom was a private person
and she did not want her business
on FB. I was told to be sure I did not
post anything about her surgery. I honored
that wish. 
HOWEVER - I did message some
friends once she was in ICU asking 
for prayers. My niece was the first to 
post on FB. HAHA Mom can't be 
upset with me over that one, I had
no control!

Mom's service was yesterday,
 such a hard
day. 
I have not been left alone for 
very long at a time. My son flew
in from Calif. and bless her heart
my daughter has stuck to me like glue.
I have cried, I have broke down, I 
have cussed, I even hit a door.
Today, numb I think is the term I 
will use. I think that fits well right now. 
Really, really hoping that this is not a sign
of the yr to come. 

Yesterday after the service we went to 
my brothers home for a meal...
its the south, the amount of food was
unreal cause that is what us Southern
folks do. 

After leaving there I came back to my
moms. I needed to get the dogs fed
but first they needed to go out.
I opened the back door and inside the 
screened in porch, a red bird was 
flying around. 
Ever heard what it means for a cardinal to
visit you?
It is someone from heaven coming to 
check on you.
It landed on the back of the 
outdoor chair.
I started to get a broom and sort of 
push it out when I remember the bird 
saying. With that I looked for something
to get it up on to take it out before it
hurt itself. Mom had removed a stake
from a plant and tossed it in the 
deck trash can. I grabbed that, and put it right
up to the birds feet. It was in NO hurry
to move. It just looked at me.
I pushed the stake to the bird again and 
it jumped up. Not even trying to fly 
away. I took it out to the deck part
that is not screened in, thinking just
as soon as I get it out, it would fly off.
No....like I said, no hurry.
I stood there with it, I think I even
told mom that I understood.
I reached out and petted it with one
finger, then two. 
Finally it looked up at me again,
and off it went.
Now this sounds like a really good
story and I am thankful I 
have pics (well of course I do).
I was shocked, stunned and crying.



I think mom was all around us yesterday.
My daughter read up on cardinals and the
meaning when she read something that shocked
her and she called me.
She asked did the ceiling fan light in 
my bedroom ever flicker. 
It has not.
She saw it happen three or four times
yesterday morning when getting read 
(her and her fam stayed there after
visitation the night before). She asked
her hubby if he saw it and he did not.
In what she read it said that sometimes
a loved one will visit via electricity. 
Thinking that maybe there were 
signs all day long we just have not 
put them all together. 
I can't take subtle hints, I have to 
have BIG RED SIGNS, so I think 
that mom sent me the red bird for that
reason and cause she loved watching them
fly around the yard. Those and Eastern
bluebirds. Which Amber and I saw 
about 4 or 5 flying right up next to the 
house the day before we lost mom.
I told Amber I hoped that was not a sign.
Should have looked away and not noticed
that one sign. Course it would have 
happened anyway. 
Talking about electricity, after the bird and
Amber's experience I walked in mom's
bathroom, flipped on the switch and 
the bulb blew.

Do you think these were signs?
I think, at least with the bird that my
mom was there to comfort me, to let
me know that everything would be okay. 

I miss you so much mom.
I love you.

Pam


Comments

That was quite a red visit you had, amazing. Hugs from all of us.
NanaDiana said…
I am sure it was a sign, Pam. I do believe God sends us signs to let us know our loved ones are beyond all the pain and sorrow of this old world. God bless you- I know this is a hard path you are walking but you ARE strong and you CAN do this.

I am sure your mom was so proud of you for honoring her on her journey..and now she will be proud of you as you undertake moving along the road of grief. xo Diana
Sandee said…
I believe they come back to let us know they are okay. It's happened to me too.

Prayers and hugs for your entire family and all those pups too. They miss their mom. ♥
Liz A. said…
I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, I'm sure those were signs. She's fine on the other side, and she wanted you to know.

Your story of the sudden loss reminds me of another blog I follow. She's a knitting blogger (probably THE knitting blogger), and she's been dealing with the loss of her mother for over a year now. And her first posts about this sound a lot like yours.

Take care of yourself. I know how hard a time this can be. Be kind to yourself.
((HUGS)) Yes these were definitely signs. After my mother died the light in our family room flickered like crazy that night and it also has happened numerous times since. Whenever a light flickers I know my mom is around and I say "Hi Mom!" Take care and God Bless.
Christine said…
May your beloved mom rest in peace.
Rain said…
Hi Pam :) thanks for the introductions to the furry kids. I think that the cardinal visiting was definitely a sign as were the other phenomena that happened. As an animal totem, Cardinal is reminding you to trust your power, you are stronger than you think you are. Another great lesson from Cardinal is that when you fall in love with your life, your spirit will naturally shine. I think it's wonderful!
Dear Pam, I am so sorry! What a beautiful piece your daughter wrote though. Will lift you up right now to the Lord. And speaking of red birds....when you have the time, take a peek at my last post. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
Ann Thompson said…
I am so sorry for your loss. I do believe in signs and I think that if you see something that you think may be a sign from heaven and it gives you comfort then that is all that really matters. You are in my thoughts and I'm sending hugs your way
wisps of words said…
I am sorry for your loss, but glad that she did not linger. For her and for all of you.

Gentle hugs... For peace... Knowing she is peaceful..

Jeanie said…
I believe there are signs. I believe anything one sees or hears that brings back that thought is indeed a sign or a message.

I'm so sorry you have to experience this. The fact that we all know we will if we've not already doesn't diminish the loss when it happens. It leaves a very large hole in one's life and the heart, doesn't it? I'm glad you will care for her dogs and I hope they can all make the transition or at least the one will find an alternative if need be. I know how much they must have meant to her as she wanted to be with them at the end. You are a wonderful person to tend so carefully to her wishes.

Sending you many wishes for peace and healing.
Darla M Sands said…
That is really something! I believe she wanted to comfort you. ~hugs~ May all your hearts be at peace. And bless you for sacrificing for her aged fur babe. Upkeep on one home is enough to handle. ~nods~ Take care, my dear, and don't punch anymore architecture! ~wink~ You don't need any broken bones.
bobbie said…
I truly believe your Mom came back to let you know she was OK ~ for the bird to let you pet her was proof-positive!!
I'm sorry for your loss ~
I am so sorry for your loss. Our moms are everything to us. Yes the cardinal was a sign I think
Debbie said…
they say the cardinal visits when a loved one has passed, you be the judge of that!! this male cardinal is beautiful, such a bright red, i hope it brought you some comfort!!

my deepest condolences!!!
DeniseinVA said…
It's nice to learn of the cardinal being a visit from a loved one. I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom. I still miss my Mom and it's been over 20 years since she passed. They will always be with us won't they Pam, especially when the Cardinals come to visit? Many hugs from me.
Julie Tucker said…
Hugs to you my precious friend.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Done Deal, Fall Color, Paint Class, New Man, Treat, and Soup, Cats and Broom