Five Years - Another Unsolved Crime

 

A while back I blogged about  a couple of post of some unsolved crimes. Here is yet another one that is personal for me. I grew up with Janet and Greg was a couple years under us in school. Five years ago the most horrible thing happened to the Hawkins family. You can read about it here posted on the Channel Five News Channel in Nashville.

Family pleads for information in unsolved murder of Murfreesboro man

Gregg Hawkins was shot and killed on October 16, 2015
hawkins
Posted at 4:22 PM, Oct 16, 2020
 
and last updated 7:06 PM, Oct 16, 2020

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WTVF) — Five years after a Murfreesboro father was shot and killed while fishing with his daughter, his family hopes someone will come forward with information that will help detectives catch his killer.

Gregg Hawkins' family gathered at the Mona Boat Ramp in Rutherford County on the five year anniversary of his death. They held hands and prayed, and remembered a man they loved dearly.

"He was the one I called when I needed help," said Brandi Jackson, Gregg Hawkins' daughter. "It is hard going through every day not having that lifeline."

"Every waking moment of my life, he is on my mind," said Shirley Hawkins-Prater, Gregg Hawkins' mother. "I never stop thinking of him. I never stop talking to him."

Family members described Gregg as caring, selfless and honest. The 53-year-old loved fishing, and worked at the Nissan Smyrna Assembly Plant. He was also an active member at World Outreach Church.

On Oct. 16, 2015, Gregg was on vacation and fishing with his daughter Brandi at the Mona Boat Ramp. Investigators believe he encountered someone who was breaking into cars in the parking lot, and he was shot and killed.

Capt. Britt Reed at the Rutherford County Sheriff's office said the case is still open, and investigators are pursuing all leads.

"Gregg’s death weighs heavily on our detectives," said Capt. Reed. "It has been frustrating. We want to be able to give this family answers."

Family members thanked people who have called in tips on the case and encouraged them to continue. They said any small detail could help catch Gregg's killer.

"You never know when you might be the one that has the right information," said Janet Hawkins, Gregg Hawkins' wife. "We just want justice for Gregg, he deserves it."

Anyone with information can call Det. Ty Downing at (615) 904-3022. There is a $50,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest in the case.

If you want to talk about a beautiful Christian family, close and loving, then the Hawkins is that family. My heart still bleeds for this family. I have not seen or talked to Janet in a couple years since my daughter wed. But she is never far from my thoughts esp this time of year.


I only hope that someone has heard something, that someone mentioned this crime to someone and that it is solved soon so Janet and her girls can have closure.

Pam



Comments

We sure hope someone knows something and comes forward soon.
Darla M Sands said…
That's heartbreaking. :( Best wishes to the family.
Ann Thompson said…
So very sad. I hope they can solve this soon and give the family some closure
Christine said…
Terrible. We just had a 1984 crime solved using genetic genealogy. They tracked down the killer but he committed suicide in 2015 unfortunately.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/a-look-at-genetic-genealogy-the-science-that-helped-identify-christine-jessop-s-killer-1.5147193
Red Rose Alley said…
Hi Pam, I will come back and catch up on your posts in awhile, but I just wanted to tell you that I didn't go to the pumpkin patch - it was just Jess' family. I'm still staying home and not being around people except my immediate family. Once in awhile, I will go somewhere just to get out in nature, but it's always secluded, just so I can be out there in the world and get some fresh air. So glad Jess gave me the photos of the pumpkin patch - it was like I was there tagging along. My family always distances themselves from others when they are out and about. Hang in there, Pam, and have a restful weekend. : )

~Sheri
NanaDiana said…
That is so horrible. Without solving the mystery, there is never full closure. My adopted granddaughter was murdered 30 years ago on July 4th after working a late shift and heading home. She left 2 children behind that my foster brother ended up raising as his own. Just so sad what unsolved murders do to families. Her mother died several years later without any closure. Praying for your local family- xo Diana
This is just so very sad.
I do hope they may be able to solve this soon and give the family closure.

All the best Jan
Liz A. said…
How sad.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Done Deal, Fall Color, Paint Class, New Man, Treat, and Soup, Cats and Broom