Aug. 16, 1977

Where were you on August 16, 1977?
I was working at the gift shop at the 
Hermitage, Home of President Andrew
Jackson.
My mom called to tell me about 
Elvis. There was a shop full of folks since
it was raining really hard outside and they
had gathered there till it let up. 
Everyone was in shock, surprised 
and stunned. 

I loved Elvis. He had an amazing 
voice. And oh those eyes!


Saw him in concert once. 
Touched his hand while he was 
leaning over the crowd. 

I loved his movies too.
Loved watching them.
Sort of miss seeing those 
movies these days. 

What was your favorite 
Elvis movie?

1956Love Me TenderClint Reno[19]
1957Loving YouJimmy Tompkins (Deke Rivers)[20]
1957Jailhouse RockVince EverettAdded to the National Film Registry in 2004[21]
1958King CreoleDanny FisherFinal film before military service[22]
1960G.I. BluesTulsa McLean[23]
1960Flaming StarPacer Burton[24]
1961Wild in the CountryGlenn Tyler[25]
1961Blue HawaiiChad Gates[26]
1962Follow That DreamToby Kwimper[27]
1962Kid GalahadWalter Gulick / Kid Galahad[28]
1962Girls! Girls! Girls!Ross Carpenter[29]
1963It Happened at the World's FairMike Edwards[30]
1963Fun in AcapulcoMike Windgren[31]
1964Kissin' CousinsJosh Morgan / Jodie TatumFilmed after Viva Las Vegas[32]
1964Viva Las VegasLucky Jackson[33]
1964RoustaboutCharlie Rogers[34]
1965Girl HappyRusty Wells[35]
1965Tickle MeLonnie Beale / Panhandle Kid[36]
1965Harum ScarumJohnny Tyronne[37]
1966Frankie and JohnnyJohnny[38]
1966Paradise, Hawaiian StyleRick Richards[39]
1966SpinoutMike McCoy[40]
1967Easy Come, Easy GoLt. (j.g.) Ted JacksonFilmed after Double Trouble[41]
1967Double TroubleGuy Lambert[42]
1967ClambakeScott Heyward[43]
1968Stay Away, JoeJoe LightcloudFilmed after Speedway[44]
1968SpeedwaySteve Grayson[45]
1968Live a Little, Love a LittleGreg Nolan[46]
1969Charro!Jess Wade[47]
1969The Trouble with GirlsWalter Hale[48]
1969Change of HabitDr. John Carpenter(final film role)[49]
1970Elvis: That's the Way It IsHimselfConcert documentary[50]
1972Elvis on TourHimselfConcert documentary[50]

    What was your favorite Elvis song?
    Was going to copy and paste a list
    of songs but this would be a really
    love post that way.


    The King of Rock and Roll has been gone
    for 40 yrs. 
    Wow....I just realized that I have 
    aged since that day of Elvis' death. 
    I was 17 on that day...time
    flies. 

    Thanks for stopping in, 



    Comments

    Sharon said…
    I was sitting in the dining room when I heard the announcement on the radio.
    Hmm, Favorite song, probably Suspicion. (If that was the name of it)
    I honestly don't remember! I do like a lot of his movies (I especially enjoy Blue Hawaii after visiting the location where they filmed on Kauai) -- he sure was handsome in his younger days!
    Liz A. said…
    I do not know what I was doing that day. I was two or three weeks away from starting 1st grade, so I think you can forgive my not knowing ;)
    I was in my living room, a very expectant new mom (my daughter was born just 10 days later) and was so shocked to hear the news. I loved his movies and the song, 'Love Me Tender'. I think every young girl had a crush on him back in those days. x Karen
    I remember when news came on radio as we didn't have TV that time.
    DeniseinVA said…
    I remember hearing the news but I am not sure what I was doing at the time. I didn't realize he had made so many movies. I remember enjoying Blue Hawaii very much.
    Betsy said…
    I became numb when I heard the news. His music is timeless. I listen to him often and especially his gospel music, no one could sing gospel like Elvis.
    Sally said…
    My favorite song is Love Me Tender.

    He was the King, no one like him before or after. :(

    xoxo
    I was "introduced" to Elvis, wayyyyy backkkkk when he had just started. (1955-ish?) By my then "bad boy" boy friend. ,-)

    But I never really "got into him" myself. So I don't even remember the day he died.

    By 1977, I had been married for 19 years, not to the "bad boy". We had 3 children, and I was "into" whatever music they were "into", then. ,-) Elvis didn't even register on my radar.

    Luna Crone

    MadSnapper said…
    I was 33 and miserable in a miserable marriage and two teen boys driving me nuts, so barely remember it... I did see most of those movies at the drive in though but can't remember them either
    Debbie said…
    i remember hearing the news and being very surprised. my favorite song - love me tender, i don't remember his movies as i was not a huge elvis fan!!!
    Rhodesia said…
    It does not seem like 40 years, I hear his songs so often that it almost feels like he has never gone anywhere. No favourite films, I loved them all. Sadly living in Africa I never got to see him live. Take care Diane
    Living in Illinois, was at home. Cried like a baby all day and night. I got pregnant with second child some time after and she was due on August 16, 1978. I knew she would be a special person and she is.
    Ann Thompson said…
    I was only 15 in 1977 so I was likely at a friends house or listenjng to music in my room. I used to like Elvis movies and of course how could you not like that voice
    Cat Lover said…
    I do remember where I was when I heard Elvis had died. I was 13 years old and visiting with a friend when her Mom screamed out "Elvis is dead!" My friend and I both said "WHO??"
    Hard to say what my favourite movie or song is.
    Robin
    Darla M Sands said…
    At age eight that year I was in the cellar doing laundry. It was the only way to get my favorite clothes clean in a timely manner (God bless Mom's soul, she was more interested in television than housekeeping). I had the radio on when the announcement played. It made me sad, for sure.

    How neat you to to see (and touch!) him. I'm a tad envious. A former boss of mine had the same good fortune. I guess "Blue Hawaii" is my favorite movie and, amusingly, "Blue Christmas" perhaps my favorite song. ~grin~ I agree about the gospel performances being amazing, though.

    Yes, I read all the comments this time. I wanted to see if anyone remarked on what I'm about to note. Did you realize that you wrote that listing all the tunes would have made it a really 'love' post instead of 'long'? I found that a cool Freudian slip.

    Glad I went back and found this. Thank you for the tribute. Be well!

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Rest of Today

    Done Deal, Fall Color, Paint Class, New Man, Treat, and Soup, Cats and Broom