Mom's Paintings

In high school my Junior year and again
my Senior 
I took art.

We painted with acrylic paints 
and I had never painted before.

I painted this for my mom.
It was the bridge at the 
water plant in the town
she was born in.
I thought it was pretty good.


Apparently she did too. I was all
of about 17 when I painted it.
It hung in her dining room for 
well over 25 yrs. 

Years later at the age of 42
I started painting again.
HAHA
My mom sort of pushed me into it.
(that story in a bit)

Anyway, couple of years after I 
started painting again I decided
to redo that bridge.
Below is the finished piece.
It hangs in my moms living room.
This one was painted in oils.


And the first one, from high school hangs
in mom's office.

Talking FIRST...when I started painting
again there had to be a first 
painting. 


Since mom sort of pushed me into
painting I decided that she would 
get the first painting.
This painting took the place of the 
high school painting in the 
dining room where it has hung
for about 16 yrs.

Somewhere along the line mom
would get paintings for Mothers
Day, Bday or Christmas.

This one hangs in the den.


This one was on the wall in the kitchen
till she took it down to have that
room painted.


The painting below hangs
over her bed.


And next....this hangs in the 
office also.
It was painted just to be painting
and my youngest brother liked it.
I gave to him and somehow mom
ended up with it.


You see I painted two 16x20 paintings
in high school (not sure where the 
other one is). Then after high school the 
most I painted was little cute flowers
on craft projects.

Then one day, I picked up some 
color pencils and started drawing.
I did a small something just messing
around and gave it to mom.
She then proceeded to tell me that
I needed to take up painting.
They teach it at Joann's and Michael's
she would say. 
Problem being, I was just too tired
after work to drive to the other
side of town to paint.
So I kept telling her I would
check into it.

One afternoon after while leaving 
my brothers house she noticed two
doors down and across the street that
women were going in a house 
carrying....oh all things,
CANVAS'.

Well my mom just had to walk 
herself down there and check it out.
She came back with a list of 
things I would need to start painting.
This woman, Shirley held two classes
in her home, one day and one night.
The rest of the time she taught at
both Joann's and Michael's.

I went and talked to Shirley and started
taking classes from her. 
$45 a week and my mom 
wanted to pay for it since she
wanted me to paint so badly.
I took painting classes for five yrs and
mainly for the get together's. It was 
fun. I learned so much for Shirley. 

Thanks mom for pushing me to 
paint again. I think my fave
is the bridge. 
Not the best pic below
but this is some of my cousin's
sitting on top of that bridge.

Mom loved her hometown where she
was born but over the years
people we visited died off and 
I think the last time I took her
there was yrs ago but I felt in 
my heart that it would be the last time.
I need to make that trip now....
I think I need to for me. 
Oh but what to do with the 
animals?

Thank you all for all the kind words.






Comments

Ann said…
You are very talented. I can see why your mom pushed you to paint
Christine said…
You are a natural fabulous painter, your mom knew that.
Your painting are fabulous and most impressive too!
Sandee said…
You are very talented and crafty. I'm happy you did this for your mom. I know she was happy too.

Have a fabulous day and week, Pam. Scritches to all your babes. ♥
wisps of words said…
Please don't think, that everything you think of, you have to do "now"....

Hugs...

✨❄✨❄✨❄✨
Darla M Sands said…
Road trip with the animals? ~grin~ What a wonderful legacy her encouragement left. You're so talented. Be well, my dear.
Your mom saw the potential and was she ever so right! Your painting are beautiful. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
Liz A. said…
So you have family that can watch the animals for a couple days? If you feel like you need to make that trip, you probably need to make that trip.
Jeanie said…
We all need our cheerleaders and our motivators to do our best work. Sometimes we even need a bit of a shove. Good for your mom, and lucky you to have had her in your corner, recognize your creativity and encourage it. She had to be so proud of all your work.
Rhodesia said…
Love all your paintings, excellent you are as I have often mentioned, very talented. Have a good day, Diane
Red Rose Alley said…
Oh my gosh, even back then you could paint - this is awesome! That's great that your mom pushed you to paint, Pam. You certainly have a talent. The finished piece is so nice, and everything looks more vivid, the trees and water. I like the frame you chose for it. The painting of the daisies made me smile, as they remind me of my mom. What a treasured photo of all the cousins sitting on top of the bride. You must keep painting, Pam. What a gift you have.

~Sheri
Absolutely gorgeous paintings. You are so talented and your mom was very lucky to have your paintings in her house. Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

The Rest of Today

Done Deal, Fall Color, Paint Class, New Man, Treat, and Soup, Cats and Broom